Monday, February 27, 2012

The Last Wolf














Deep in the dense old growth forest
Before the new moon has fully set
A lone wolf, reluctant to stray
Becomes entranced by a murmur on the wind

His senses are answering some innate call
El lobo, dark and smoky as soot, lopes
Down through the foothills, across fields
And onto the cement that is the city

The closer he gets to civilization, people
The more cumbersome his winter-thick pelt
Still, his step is unfaltering as he hurries on
Not knowing why or when he will stop, or if

The last of his species knows not how to lie down
Will run out his life 'til it's done or is taken ...

S.E.Ingraham©

14 comments:

  1. I love the second stanza, when the city shows up, then such sadness sets in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brenda ... I love wolves in an insane way and fear they are on their way out ... such sadness will eventually set in ... I see I left a word out (map) inadvertently - it was in the draft; if I can remember how it went, I'll remedy it ... thanks again, for dropping by and for the excellent words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written and a great use of the wordle. Your poem captures the plight of so many animals who must adapt to urban encroachment on their habitats if they want to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting take on the words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to comment with open ID but it wasn't accepted! The anon above is me
    http://pseu1.wordpress.com/ Pseu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfully written poem, I just love that last stanza!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.

    That was quite an exquisite wordle. Loved every line. Especially the angle from the wolf's perspective.

    PS Nice background photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have goose-bumps on my spine...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kept having to remind myself this is a wordle, I became so caught up in wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was sort of holding my breath from the first hint of the poor wolf's plight, from the title itself...

    Well wordled! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a place for all...I have heard Brother Wolf howl - hopefully some are free and not all are in zoos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to all who came in support of the last wolf; I'm glad you liked the poem and appreciate your kind words ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good write. I too, didn't notice the wordle words within this, Sharon.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks flaubert - I think that's one of the highest compliments I can receive ... hearing that the wordle words aren't noticed ...

    ReplyDelete